Friday, July 8, 2011

We Really Do Adapt

As I mentioned last post, I've finally been losing weight again. Since May 24th I've lost 12 pounds. I've been getting compliments like crazy and I've even had to buy some new "skinny" clothes. I'm still not as thin as I'd like, but one of the pants I bought was an 8. Sweet!
I've been going to the gym in the early mornings at least four days a week all year, but I wasn't seeing the progress I wanted. I finally decided to get SERIOUS with the diet. I used to be good for lunch and dinner and then make things like lasagna for dinner. I wouldn't eat that much, but I wasn't limiting myself to one serving.
I have actually been eating the recommended serving size of things. At first I was hungry a lot and had to chew sugarless gum all day to keep myself from munching. Sometimes I felt even a little weak like my body actually needed the energy. You know what happened after a few weeks of about 1400-1600 calories per day? My body adapted. It's not that I'm always satisfied with my one serving of oatmeal and a banana for breakfast or my tuna sandwich for lunch, but it's not too bad. I usually have a snack (apple or yogurt) or two between meals and that helps a lot. Really though, I've adapted a lot. Now if I eat a second serving of Special K, I feel like I just ate a Thanksgiving meal. Okay, maybe that's exaggerating, but the principle is true. I never really thought I ate that much before, but compared to now I did. I still eat a little of the good food at family parties, but at home I've been super-strict about it. I've lost almost two pounds a week so far, so I'm pleased.
When I say I've adapted, I mean more than just feeling full. I have enough energy to get a good workout at the gym. I'm still nursing and at first my milk started waning too, but now it's back up. It's pretty incredible that our bodies can adapt the way they do.
If you want to find some good meal ideas you can browse the sites below:


Good Housekeeping has some great meal plans for weight loss.


USDA National Nutrient Database has ALL of the nutrition information on foods.



Mayo Clinic answers questions about all types of things, including weight loss and fitness.

All types of free meal plans at www.freedieting.com

Free meal plans by total calories of meal type (i.e. high protein) at Changing Shape (look under freebies).



P.S. My triathlon is tomorrow. I hope it goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment