Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Finding Balance

Okay, so I kind of took a hiatus from this blog for a while. It wasn't intentional; I just have been busy with other things. I thought I'd catch you up on few decisions I've made.

For a while I was training very seriously for the Olympic distance triathlon. I was going to the gym five or six days a week for two hours a day. I was going on 20 miles bike rides and swimming ten million laps...okay, maybe like 75 lengths. The trouble was that I felt like it wasn't as fun anymore. I was starting to feel overwhelmed that even with all of the training, I still wouldn't be able to do all of the events back-to-back. I have three young children- very young, as in my oldest just turned five. I feel like my first priority needs to be a good wife and mother. Going to the gym and being fit helps me be better, but wearing myself out training hard for hours every day is just not my priority right now.

So, I decided to go back to a sprint triathlon. I feel really good about it. I'm sure I can do it and I don't have to stress out about training for it. I feel like I can enjoy everything more without so much pressure to stick to a training schedule. So, because I am only doing a sprint instead, I figured I'd save fifty plus dollars and sign up for a different race. I'll be doing one in Cache Valley. It's less than half the price and some of the money actually goes to charity, which is sadly rare with triathlons. Also, I don't have to rent a wet suit since it's in a pool. I can always do another one later, but this will be a good introduction to tris. Also, I have some cousins doing it with me, so that will be super-fun!

Some people might say that I'm a quitter. I honestly don't think so. I am still doing a triathlon, but for my priorities in life right now, this is a better fit.

P.S. On a side note, I fell off the eating right wagon a while ago. A week ago, however, I recommitted myself. I lost three pounds since. Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment