Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Imbued With Confidence!

I have been getting up early to go workout at the gym five or six days a week. Depending on the class I'm headed to, I have to set my alarm for between 4:45-5:50. Yeah, it's early. You'd think I'd adapt and it wouldn't seem so early, but I haven't- yet anyway. It's nearly always a battle to get up, but luckily my self-discipline has proved conquerer and I pretty much always get up.

The other day, i had stayed up too late again and the kids had kept me up a bit again. When my alarm went I was so tempted to just fall back asleep, but I ripped myself out of bed and headed to the gym. I have been nervous about the swimming portion of the sprint triathlon. It's not that far, but I get tired swimming freestyle lap after lap. In talking with some friends, I learned that it's not necessary to front crawl the whole time. With that in mind, I decided to just see how many laps I could go without touching the bottom or pushing off the sides. I tried to go freestyle for the most part, but nearly half of the laps ended up being breast or back stroke. With switching off, however, I was able to go the sixty laps to make 1500 meters. I didn't do it fast, and my technique was sloppy, but I swam the distance of an Olympic triathlon!

Well, that sealed the deal. If I can swim far enough, then I'm determined to bike and run far enough. It's going to be tough, but I am going to do an Olympic distance triathlon! I'm so glad I got out of bed so I can be filled with confidence. . . not regret.


I'm a little crazy to be doing the Olympic distance tri. Swimming across a cold reservoir for nearly a mile, then biking a full marathon on mountain roads that have big elevation changes and then running a 10K when I'm already tired from the swimming and biking. . . Yes, I am crazy!



I hope I'll survive! Finishing and not being last are my goals. I have been exercising daily, but I really need to to step up the training. I haven't been running more than two miles at a time and I've just been doing the spin classes, not any on the road biking. I've decided though and I'm a DETERMINED SOUL when I put my mind to something.



That swim filled me with confidence and I'm going to work hard to keep it! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I just realized you had this other blog. I may have looked another time or two, but I had forgotten about it. I need to put in in my list of ones I read. You are awesome that you get up that early. I keep setting my alarm to get up before the kids to walk on the treadmill (in our home.) I have to get up at 6:15 to be up before the kids and get it done. I haven't done it yet. I set my alarm and keep not doing it. I wish I could be more like you. I was looking at your about profile. It said you weighed 180 lbs. I really can't believe that. I weight 170 and I look so bad. You look fabulous. You are my new hero. I wish I had the discipline. Keep inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are crazy, but you are awesome too. I'm very impressed by your swimming. I tried swimming laps last year; It was super hard. Way to go, Jen!

    ReplyDelete