Sunday, January 2, 2011

Yay! I Joined a Gym

After my second baby, I lost over 40 pounds (after the six weeks postpartum). I did it at home and around my neighborhood. My baby was born in December, but starting in January I bundled up my kids and started running out in the cold. I also did workout videos at home and lifted 5 and 10 pound handweights. Yes, it can be done at home, by yourself, without equipment. It isn't easy though.
Three kids, none of whom yet go to school, gives me a dilema. I can't fit all three in a stroller and I can't ask my four-year old to ride his bike on the icy streets. Getting up in the early hours to go out and run in those icy streets myself isn't very desirable either. I was trying exercise videos, but I was having a hard time staying motivated. The solution for me was joining a gym. Luckily my husband's company has a corporate discount and so I am now the excited owner of a Gold's Gym membership.

I just got a membership a couple of days before Christmas, but I already love it! With my husband off for the holidays I was able to go during the day sometimes, but I've already made a few 6:00 AM trips. On New Year's Day it was absolutely freezing here. I went to the gym at 8:15 and it wasn't even 20 degrees outside. It was so nice to come into the climate-controlled gym and enjoy my workout instead of bemoan my misfortune in the cold. Instead of only having my few free weights for equipment, now I have this and more at my disposal:
I haven't swam laps in a decade, but I've been contemplating a sprint triathalon. Luckily Gold's also has a pool, so it's now a possibility. We'll have to see how it goes. My favorite room so far is the spinning cycle room. I have gone a few times and can't quite keep up yet, but I'll get there. Right away I feel the burn in my legs like my quads are on fire and I'm dripping sweat. Despite that, I'm actually enjoying myself-love it!They have a whole slew of classes that I'm excited to try. The only thing that would make my trips more enjoyable would be a friend to go with. My husband has a membership, but with the kids we can't go at the same time. If you live near me and a have a membership, please let me know.

Hooray for finding a way to make things work!

No comments:

Post a Comment