Friday, February 18, 2011

Overload Principle

A cousin just posted something great on her blog about the "Overload Principle". I had actually just been thinking about the concept anyway. One of my gym instructors is an incredible athlete. She does Boston-speed marathons and century rides on her bike. She teaches cycling and runner's bootcamp at the gym and gymnastics as well. Anyway, she said, "If I don't wake up a little sore, I know I didn't push myself enough." Even though she is definitely in-shape, she continues to push her limits daily. I am not yet a true athlete, but I have tried to incorporate the principle of pushing myself daily. I try to cycle faster with more resistance, sprint faster, run farther, jump higher, increase my lifting weights, etc.

I am going to copy what my cousin wrote on her blog because I feel it so well explained:

Overload Principle: the requirements necessary to bring about improvement in the various systems of the body. As the body is subject to loads greater than they are accustomed to, the systems adjust and increase their capacity to perform physical work.(Definition from Strength Training 4th ed. by Philip Allsen)

This principle applies to cardiovascular and muscular training. Basically, if you do the same exact workout all the time, your body will not adjust and increase its capacity. Here are some ways you can mix up a workout so that you can continue to challenge your body and improve.

Muscular Training

•increase the resistance
•increase the number of repetitions
•increase the number of sets
•decrease the time of rest between sets for a given exercise (rest time should still be at least a minute, however)
•increase workout frequency (go from 2 to 3 days per week)
•switch up your routine (don't do the same exercise for each body part all the time)
•try circuit training (alternating resistance exercise with short bouts of high intensity aerobic exercise like rope jumping, jumping jacks, running, etc.)

Cardiovascular Training

•increase your mileage/time
•increase your intensity by upping your pace
•increase workout frequency (start at 3 days and gradually increase to 5 or 6 days per week)
•incorporate hills into your workout (or increase the incline or resistance on machines)
•interval training (where you alternate between high and low intensity)
•try circuit training (alternating resistance exercise with short bouts of high intensity aerobic exercise like rope jumping, jumping jacks, running, etc.)
•try a new mode of exercise (if you're a runner, mix in some biking, swimming, aerobic dance, etc.)


Let's all try to apply the "overload principle" into our exercise routines.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been here for a while. How are things going since Leisel was born. I bet I spelled her name wrong, sorry! I am at week 31 and trying so hard not to pack on the lbs these last weeks.....I like this post too. I don't do the PX 90 stuff but I hear the "muscle confusion" is awesome.

    ReplyDelete