Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm Determined to be the Master of my Fate

I've decided that I am definitely going to be competing in my first sprint triathlon this summer. I am no where near fit enough right now, but I'm determined. I may or may not have the opportunity to train in future years, but the stars have aligned for me now and I'm seizing the opportunity.
The swim is definitely my hardest leg. I know how to swim, but my technique is really sloppy. For the last few Saturdays I've been swimming laps after my regular workout. I did 14 and 16 laps respectively, and probably could have kept going, but it wasn't a pretty sight. I started out okay, but after a few laps I had to switch it up with breaststroke. A sprint tri requires a half mile, or about 33 laps. Most likely, however, the triathlon will have me swimming in the middle of some lake, so that's an added challenge. Lucky for me, I have access to some swimming instruction. My mother-in-law was a swim coach and my husband is a great swimmer. With their tips and my hard work practicing I'm sure I can pull it off.
Part of the reason that right now is a good time to train is that I have this gym membership. It expires in 6 months and I will probably no longer get the killer deal I've got now. The gym provides access to a pool, which is vital for training. They also offer incredible cycling classes that can get me in great shape for the bike leg. The running is the easiest part to do. With the runner's bootcamp and other cross-training classes offered at the gym, I should be able to improve my times significantly.
Even though it hasn't been very long since baby #3 for me, I could probably finish a triathlon if I had to, but it would take criminals chasing me or the offer of a million dollars to push me through and it wouldn't be fast. My desire is to get to where I don't "just finish" a sprint triathlon, but do it in a reasonable time.
It's a battle to get up at 5:45 every morning to go to the gym. It's a bigger battle to try to eat right, especially measuring to get small portions.
Despite the challenges, I'm determined to be the master of my fate.
That fate will be that I will be a triathlete in five or six months.

2 comments:

  1. "master of my fate"
    LOVE IT.

    A triathalon is not even on my radar but how cool are you?

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you inspire me. You are the reason that I started running. Thanks for being so open an honest. Maybe I will be able to follow in your footsteps. I don't know how you do it all.

    ReplyDelete